Written by Bill Roach, YMCA group exercise instructor
When summer comes people think of riding bikes outdoors but summer is also a great time to try indoor cycling. Here’s why you should try indoor cycling at the Y this summer:
1. It’s your ride. You can ride at your own pace. Indoor cycling looks hard but it doesn’t have to be. You can always ride at your own pace in any class. And, no, you won’t be obvious. People will not judge.
2. It’s healthy. You will get great health benefits. It burns calories, improves your cardiovascular system and makes you stronger.
3. It’s fun. You will find camaraderie and energy in the shared work. Good music makes the effort seem easier and more enjoyable. And you will be inspired by the people around you. It may be just the thing for you if you find that solo workouts are getting tiresome.
4. It’s convenient. You can make indoor cycling part of your day by enjoying the convenience of coming before or after work. Your workout can be used as a clear demarcation between your workday and home-life. Or, it can be a mid-day break in your busy day. Oftentimes that is easier than taking your bike out to the trail at the end of the day.
5. It’s efficient. You can burn more calories in a shorter time than you would likely be able to do riding outdoors. You can get a great workout in less than an hour and be done.
6. It’s well led. The Y has good, certified, instructors that will make sure you have a workout that is safe, effective and fun. Feel free to ask any question you might have. There only reason for being there is to help you.
Come give it a try. It may be just what you need to kick-start your exercise program. And it works just as well in the summer as it does come wintertime.