In 1994, the John R. Grubb Community YMCA opened in a historic building at 11th and College in Des Moines, in one of the city's most diverse and economically challenged neighborhoods. Working in partnership with government, education, business and charitable organizations, the Grubb Y strengthens community by serving as a place where everyone—regadless of age, background or income level—can realize their potential and become healthier in spirit, mind and body.
To visit the Grubb Y is to experience life in the hub of a thriving community. Here, children find a safe, nurturing environment in which to learn and explore...teens engage with caring role models who encourage them on their journey of self-discovery...adults have access to facilities and programs that support the health of the entire family...immigrants and newcomers are welcomed as valued, respected members of the community...men develop the skills necessary to be a positive influence in the lives of their kids...and seniors make the social connections so vital to promoting health and longevity.
The Grubb YMCA is a critical resource in addressing the social determinants of health in the city's urban core. Amenities and programs include:
- A regulation gymnasium for basketball and other sports
- A large weight training area that includes a full line of equipment, benches, dumbbells and more
- A cardio fitness center featuring treadmills, ellipticals, Cybex Arc trainers and stationery bikes
- A cycling studio
- A studio for group fitness and mind/body exercise classes catering to members of all ages and ability levels
- A Teen Center providing a safe and supportive space for meetings, instruction and recreation
- A computer lab where kids take part in academic enrichment programs and adults can access the internet for education and job searches
- A supervised play area for infants and toddlers
- Large multi-purpose spaces that host everything from community meetings to birthday parties
- And much more!
News & Stories
Stay up to date on the latest happenings around the YMCA of Greater Des Moines. Our blog is where we share news about upcoming events, success stories of Y members and the role the Y plays in the community.Visit the Blog